Garbage Day Reveals Illiteracy Problem

Either my neighbors are illiterate or they can’t follow directions.Why do I think this poorly of my neighbors? Because every garbage pickup day, about 25% put their garbage cans out wrong. So either they can’t to read or they can’t follow the directions printed on their garbage can lid. I’m sure, when they come home they wonder what in the world happened to their garbage cans.


Well, I’ll tell you what happens to their cans because I’m usually out walking my dog, Jocky. The cans get throwed around because the city has gone and bought some of those newfangled garbage trucks. These new trucks don’t have 2 people on the back, picking up the cans, tossing the contents into the back of the truck, and then making sure the can is put back where it started.


No siree, now it only takes one person driving the truck and pulling some levers to empty the cans. These trucks got this big old arm that comes out and grabs that can, hoists it upside down in the air, and shakes the contents right into the top of truck bed. Emptying the garbage can is a piece of cake for the driver.


Of course, if you’ve done put your can out backwards, the whole operation gets a little shaky. During the pickup process, the lid sometimes gets busted off, but most often the can ends up all cattywampus when it’s set back on the ground.


Which is how many of my neighbors are going to continue finding their garbage cans unless they put them out there with the handle pointing toward the street. It’s not college physics we’re dealing with here, it’s just a simple matter of pointing the arrow on the lid in the right direction.


Speaking of directions, I think I’ll go with my neighbors not reading the directions rather than not being able to read the directions. Helps me keep the faith in Tassanoxie’s school system.

Comments