Top Heavy Airplanes?

I saw in the newspaper the other day that the airlines have succumbed to passenger pressure. They are making overhead storage areas larger. To hold all the junk folks carry on the plane with them.


Am I the only one who thinks that move is dumber than dirt? I don’t know about you, but I’d rather pay a baggage fee and have them give me a bigger seating area than have them enlarge the carry on storage space. Not only would that give me a more comfortable traveling experience, it’d also give me better odds in a plane crash.


Say what? Yeah, that’s right. Just think about it. Once they load up the overhead storage with more luggage, a body could survive a crash only to be pummeled to death when the overhead storage bins bust open and rain destruction in the way of God knows what objects down on an unsuspecting passenger. If you've flown any, you've seen what oddball things people drag on board with them. I've seen everything from guitars to flower arrangements.


Not only do you have to worry about what might conk you on the head when the plane hits turbulence, but what about flying an airplane that has become top heavy? Face it, our airlines are aging (sort of like me). They were designed for people on top and baggage on the bottom. What sort of aerodynamic laws will these planes be challenging when they become heavy on top?


Way back when these planes were designed, overhead storage bins held blankets and pillows. Sometimes I think way back isn’t so bad. Especially if it means the difference between having a pillow conk you on your head or a fully loaded carry on suitcase. Or how safely the airplane can take off and land...


Comments