Package Delivered? Uh Oh.

So Amazon alerts me my order has been delivered. I go to the porch, but I can’t find it anywhere. In case there’s a glitch in the system, I wait and check for the next two days. I know, I’m an optimist and held out hope the package would arrived.

But, no package. Amazon still says the package had been delivered.


I go online and follow the directions for a missing order. I’m told to email the company who sent the package. Which I did. Very nicely, too. No reply.

Along with the advice to email the company, Amazon suggests I search around the front porch area. If that doesn’t turn up the package, they suggested I check with my neighbors.


Right, go door to door asking my neighbors if they got my package by mistake. If they did get the package, they’d had two days to let me know.


I didn’t go door to door asking my neighbors. I mean I pay Amazon every year to deliver stuff to my door. I do not join Prime so I can run around the neighborhood asking if someone got my order by mistake.


It’s not that I don’t like my neighbors. For the most part they seem really nice. But is someone going to admit they received the package, but didn’t bother to bring it to me? Or tell me they threw the package in the trash because it didn’t have their name on it? Or better yet that they opened it and decided to keep it?


Or even that they didn’t think it was their place to do Amazon’s work for them?


And really, it’s not my job to ensure a package ordered by me ends up on my porch. My job is just to order the item and pay for it.


It seems to me Jeff Bezos could invest some of his $139 BILLION in itty bitty GPS smart tracker and put them in every package. That way, the actual location of packages would be easy to ascertain. There’d be no need to advise customers to bother their neighbors about a package that may have disappeared long before the bogus delivery.


Not that GPS trackers always help. I read about a woman whose luggage remained at the airport in St. John, Canada for five days after she took a two a half hour flight from there to Toronto. She knew exactly where her luggage was because she had a tracker in her bag. Not that telling the airline folks the bag’s location seems to have helped since no one pulled it out of whatever cubby hole it had been stashed in and put it on the next connecting flight for four days.


And once I explained the lack of delivery to Amazon customer service representative, I wasn’t instructed to search my neighborhood. The very nice person refunded my money with many apologies for the inconvenience.


Frankly, if Bezos has the money to shoot himself to the moon, why not invest in tiny smart trackers? Or at the very least a software program that doesn’t show a package delivered when it hasn’t been delivered.

Comments