Paul Newman is More Than Organic Salad Dressing

You know you’re getting old when your physical therapist only recognizes the name Paul Newman because of salad dressing.


It all started when I said one of my favorite movies was Princess Bride. My PT not only recognized the movie, she loved it, too. Then I said, “William Goldman was such an amazing screenwriter. Did you know he wrote Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid, too?”


She looked at me blankly She had no idea what movie I  meant. To clarify I added, “you know, the one with Paul Newman.”


Another blank look. Paul Newman’s name rang no bells. I tried to clarify, "you know, the actor with the beautiful blue eyes.”


Not a flicker of recognition. 


I got a brainstorm."Have you ever heard of Newman's Own organic salad dressing?” 


Bingo! Her face lit up.


It sort of depressed me. 


She didn’t know he starred in over 50 movies. She didn’t know about the legendary Newman-Woodward romance and subsequent 50 year marriage. The sadness of his wife’s Alzheimer’s disease that stole her memories of him. She didn’t know about his career as a race car driver. 


She’ll never looked at a male with beautiful blue eyes and think “he has Paul Newman eyes.” 


Sigh.


When I started writing this blog, I had no idea Paul Newman’s memoir: The Extraordinary Life of an Ordinary Man: A Memoir had been recently published. I mean, he died 14 years ago so a memoir this late was a surprise. 

The book will put him briefly back into the public’s eye, but the truth is, he’s never left. His legacy isn’t films that fewer and fewer people watch, it’s his company. A company that started with a salad dressing that now offers everything from salad dressings to dog food–with ALL the profits going to help kids. Newman’s Own has donated over a billion dollars to charities around the world.


I’m sure Paul’s star will rise again for a short while with publication of his memoir. It will contain anecdotes about other Hollywood used-to-bes that the older generation will recognize. And whenever you get nostalgic to watch one of his movies, there’s always cable stations that run old movies. 


Not that the younger actors aren't a treat to watch.


But, none of them are Paul Newman.


Comments